Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2022, 09:07 AM   #21
Member
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,160
Thanks: 1,612
Thanked 2,479 Times in 736 Posts

Default

The Fall Southern used to be a combination event, much more like the Spring Southern, where many vendors/dealers would come. As the years went on Rick told me he was having more and more trouble convincing them to come for the weekend. The smaller attendance, as compared with the Spring Southern, along with the associated lower number of sales, dissuaded them until it ceased to be. One of the earlier years was when I was able to trade for Susie, my 32" barreled 16 ga. LCS. I will always remember that weekend.

Bill is absolutely right that it is a fine venue for shooting your double guns at great targets. Rick is a master at putting on a shoot and having everything run smoothly. Trap problems are almost nil. He is adamant about having his equipment in top notch condition, and...... making fine eating available.

Sure hope I can get back over there this year. I want to test my mettle against "Doc John" again.
Stan Hillis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post:
Unread 09-25-2022, 10:50 PM   #22
Member
MattHaney
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 90
Thanks: 207
Thanked 139 Times in 52 Posts

Default

I will be there, and I'm looking forward to it as I haven't been able to shoot much lately. ---Matt
MattHaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Fall Southern
Unread 09-28-2022, 08:25 PM   #23
Member
Quigley97
PGCA Member
 
Tom Pellegrini's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 315
Thanks: 2,509
Thanked 550 Times in 188 Posts

Default Fall Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hillis View Post
The Fall Southern used to be a combination event, much more like the Spring Southern, where many vendors/dealers would come. As the years went on Rick told me he was having more and more trouble convincing them to come for the weekend. The smaller attendance, as compared with the Spring Southern, along with the associated lower number of sales, dissuaded them until it ceased to be. One of the earlier years was when I was able to trade for Susie, my 32" barreled 16 ga. LCS. I will always remember that weekend.

Bill is absolutely right that it is a fine venue for shooting your double guns at great targets. Rick is a master at putting on a shoot and having everything run smoothly. Trap problems are almost nil. He is adamant about having his equipment in top notch condition, and...... making fine eating available.

Sure hope I can get back over there this year. I want to test my mettle against "Doc John" again.
Stan you are absolutely correct. When I started working the event 11 years ago it was just like the Spring Southern. Many of the vendors and competitors though complained that it was during bird hunting season. At that time Bill Kempfer and Rick Hemmingway decided to move the event to the third week of September. Everyone thought that was a great idea. Many complained about the heat in September as compared to October. Then the event was moved back to October. After that move many of the vendors did not return and never came back since no matter how hard Bill Kempfer and Rick Hemmingway tried. Like I said before Backwoods offers quail hunts and pheasant tower shoots and will do their best to accommodate the coustomer the best they can.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 09-30-2022, 07:56 PM   #24
Member
Buddy Marson
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 238
Thanks: 1,191
Thanked 215 Times in 81 Posts

Default

Tom,
What's the status of Backwoods after IAN?
Buddy Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Status
Unread 10-01-2022, 06:11 PM   #25
Member
Quigley97
PGCA Member
 
Tom Pellegrini's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 315
Thanks: 2,509
Thanked 550 Times in 188 Posts

Default Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Marson View Post
Tom,
What's the status of Backwoods after IAN?
Buddy, I haven't touched base yet. I will do that tomorrow. I believe there was higher wind in the Georgetown area, but being farther inland I believe they faired pretty well. I will post any info when I receive it. Take care young man.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Status
Unread 10-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #26
Member
Quigley97
PGCA Member
 
Tom Pellegrini's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 315
Thanks: 2,509
Thanked 550 Times in 188 Posts

Default Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Marson View Post
Tom,
What's the status of Backwoods after IAN?
I just talked to Allison at Backwoods and she said that there was some wind and a few tree limbs down. They were open yesterday and everything is in normal operation. From what I am seeing on the local news is that on the coast there was damage from the wind and much more damage from the storm surge. I am only 12 miles from Myrtle Beach and the highest gust reported in my area was 51 mph along with 5.5 inches of rain. Like I said previously along the coast the damage was much worse. Three of the piers were damage also.
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #27
Member
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Stan Hoover's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 470
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,045 Times in 312 Posts

Default

Looking forward to seeing the Fall Southern for the first time, it will be a pretty quick trip. Hoping to arrive Friday am and will be there thru Saturday pm. Since this will be the first time, I'm really interested in finding out about the Parker/Smith events.
Looking forward to meeting more great people from this site,
Stan
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Fall Southern
Unread 10-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #28
Member
Quigley97
PGCA Member
 
Tom Pellegrini's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 315
Thanks: 2,509
Thanked 550 Times in 188 Posts

Default Fall Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Looking forward to seeing the Fall Southern for the first time, it will be a pretty quick trip. Hoping to arrive Friday am and will be there thru Saturday pm. Since this will be the first time, I'm really interested in finding out about the Parker/Smith events.
Looking forward to meeting more great people from this site,
Stan
Stan,
Give me a call when you get into town. Maybe we could get together and I could give you the "50 cent" tour or even get some practice in early.
Tom Pellegrini
717-877-7772
Tom Pellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Pellegrini For Your Post:
Unread 10-12-2022, 07:25 PM   #29
Member
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
CraigThompson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,978
Thanks: 3,913
Thanked 5,180 Times in 2,478 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Hoover View Post
Looking forward to seeing the Fall Southern for the first time, it will be a pretty quick trip. Hoping to arrive Friday am and will be there thru Saturday pm. Since this will be the first time, I'm really interested in finding out about the Parker/Smith events.
Looking forward to meeting more great people from this site,
Stan
Google the resteraunts in Georgetown !!!!
__________________
Parkerís , 6.5mmís , Mannlicher Schoenauerís and my family in the Philippines !
CraigThompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2022, 06:59 AM   #30
Member
Stan Hoover
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Stan Hoover's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 470
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,045 Times in 312 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pellegrini View Post
Stan,
Give me a call when you get into town. Maybe we could get together and I could give you the "50 cent" tour or even get some practice in early.
Tom Pellegrini
717-877-7772
Thanks Tom,
Stan Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Hoover For Your Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2022, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.