Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2024, 04:50 PM   #11
Member
MrBojangles
PGCA Lifetime
Member

Member Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 183
Thanks: 48
Thanked 154 Times in 48 Posts

Default

As far as I know, George Bird Evans only ever bought one firearm, that AYA. The 20 gauge Fox was a gift from his father. It was traded for the 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth. The Purdey was willed to him by Dr Norris. Unless, of course, if he had a .22 rifle or center fire rifle he never really used or a revolver for home defense.
Ian Civco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Civco For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2024, 04:58 PM   #12
Member
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Garry L Gordon's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 4,845
Thanks: 13,750
Thanked 10,062 Times in 3,199 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Civco View Post
As far as I know, George Bird Evans only ever bought one firearm, that AYA. The 20 gauge Fox was a gift from his father. It was traded for the 12 gauge Fox Sterlingworth. The Purdey was willed to him by Dr Norris. Unless, of course, if he had a .22 rifle or center fire rifle he never really used or a revolver for home defense.
I'm sure there is a photo of a .22 rifle in one of his books, and reference to it in one of his essays, but I think you are correct, Ian, and that the .22 was probably a gift from his father(?).

It kind of makes those of us who have more guns than we really need look a bit gluttonous (unless, of course, all of them were gifted to us I guess)
__________________
"Doubtless the good Lord could have made a better game bird than bobwhite, and better country to hunt him in...but equally doubtless, he never did." -- Guy de la Valdene (from A Handful of Feathers )

"'I promise you,' he said, 'on my word of honor, I won't die on the opening of the bird season.'" -- Robert Ruark (from The Old Man and the Boy)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2024, 05:15 PM   #13
Member
Rick Roemer
PGCA Member
 
Rick Roemer's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 347
Thanks: 316
Thanked 462 Times in 149 Posts

Default

Beware the man that uses but one gun! My experience is they are superb shots. I could never be one, but definitely see the benefit in marksmanship.
__________________
A Dog, A Gun, and Time enough!

George Bird Evans
Rick Roemer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Roemer For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2024, 09:05 PM   #14
Member
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
CraigThompson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,766
Thanks: 5,729
Thanked 7,895 Times in 3,539 Posts

Default

Once when chatting GBE on the phone he was asking where geographically Orange was in Virginia . Then he related during WWII I think he said he was stationed somewhere in VA anyway he would come to a place called Syria VA and fly fish for brookies . Syria is maybe 20 miles from my home and of course I know all the places up there he spoke of . Syria is maybe four miles the way the crow flies from the Shenandoah National Park .
__________________
Parkerís , 6.5mmís , Mannlicher Schoenauerís and my family in the Philippines !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CraigThompson For Your Post:
Unread 06-18-2024, 09:23 PM   #15
Member
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
Rick Losey's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,849
Thanks: 1,691
Thanked 8,282 Times in 3,285 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
Once when chatting GBE on the phone he was asking where geographically Orange was in Virginia . Then he related during WWII I think he said he was stationed somewhere in VA anyway he would come to a place called Syria VA and fly fish for brookies . Syria is maybe 20 miles from my home and of course I know all the places up there he spoke of . Syria is maybe four miles the way the crow flies from the Shenandoah National Park .
he did serve as an illustrator for the navy stationed in the DC area

I believe he mentioned visiting an estate in VA in one of his books
__________________
"If there is a heaven it must have thinning aspen gold, and flighting woodcock, and a bird dog" GBE
Rick Losey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2024, 09:36 PM   #16
Member
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime
Member
 
CraigThompson's Avatar

Member Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8,766
Thanks: 5,729
Thanked 7,895 Times in 3,539 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Losey View Post
he did serve as an illustrator for the navy stationed in the DC area

I believe he mentioned visiting an estate in VA in one of his books
I think you may be correct on the DC thing . He told me Kay would meet him somewhere and they’d drive up to Syria and rent a room or cottage when he had leave . Where he told me he fished was maybe 3-5 miles from Hoovers Camp on the Rapidan . The same Rapidan River/stream that Harry Murray came up with the Mr. Rapidan fry flies and emergers . I spent many mornings and evenings in the same general area bouncing dry flies off rocks with my little Walt Carpenter 6 1/2’ 4wt split cane rod . Never used much other than Mr. Rapidans and blonde elk hair caddis .
__________________
Parkerís , 6.5mmís , Mannlicher Schoenauerís and my family in the Philippines !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2024, Parkerguns.org
Copyright © 2004 Design par Megatekno
- 2008 style update 3.7 avec l'autorisation de son auteur par Stradfred.